Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pretty Stool Makeover and Yes, I Still Blog


Oh hey, remember me?

I'm sorry I fell off the face of the earth for awhile.  I've had a lot of projects to do lately (for my day job), which hasn't left me a lot of time to do anything blog-worthy, or to blog about anything at all.

In truth, I was also considering ending this blog.  My readership hasn't grown a lot, but a lot of that is because I don't blog very often.  But I find it hard to blog consistently when I'm wondering if anyone really even reads what I write besides my mom and her friends (hi, ladies!). It's a vicious cycle, really.  And since it's confession time, sometimes I wonder if I really even bring anything special to the blogosphere that's worth sharing.

But I've decided to stick with it, for a lot of reasons, the chief of which is that it motivates me to do projects, and it's been fun to look back at the house and how it's evolved over the last two years, and to look at past trips I've blogged about, and reference recipes I've shared, etc.  I guess what I'm saying is that, even if I"m the only one who cares about what I'm sharing, I'm just going to keep on sharing it.  But feel free to let me know in the comments what you think about the blog, and even what kinds of things you'd like to see me post about besides my silly house projects.  Makeup? Skincare? Natural beauty? Shoes? Recipes? Thoughts on life?

I've taken some time out to tackle some projects and think about what I'd like to share on this blog, and I have some things I'm working on that you'll see soon - like the dining chair makeover project that has finally commenced!

For now, here's a little stool I made over for my bedroom.  It was a thrift store find of my mom's from about eight or so years ago.  She painted it black and recovered it with some pretty red fabric, and I had it under my vanity table for many years.  Unfortunately, I abused it, so the paint was chipping and the batting on the cushion had flattened and the red no longer fit in with my bedroom color scheme.  In short, it was desperately in need of a makeover.

I neglected to take a photo of the complete chair or the cushion before I ripped all the staples out.  Oops.  But here is the sad little chipped black frame before.



And here it is after a coat of spray primer and its first coat of gold spray paint (it needed two thin coats - no drips!).  I used Design Master 24KT Pure Gold and it was great.  It has a soft glow about it, but it's not too shiny or bright.


I didn't take any photos of the process of reupholstering the cushion, but it involved new super thick batting, a staple gun, and a small piece of  Chiang Mai Dragon fabric in Alabaster that I scored from eBay during one of my recent fabric addiction sprees acquisitions.  I've had it for months with the intention of sewing a pillow out of it, but I decided the stool was a better project.


And here it is!  It brightens up my bedroom so much, and I love how vibrant the green, red, and yellow are against the gray walls.


In all honesty, it was the first real DIY decor project I've ever tackled myself.  It wasn't at all hard, but it was intimidating because I always assume I'm going to fail since I'm not particularly crafty or coordinated.  But once I was into the project, it was so much fun to watch it take shape.  I'm so happy with the result and can't wait to finish the other projects on the list for my bedroom so that you can see the final result.  Or at least the semi-final result.

Stay tuned for more projects, and thanks for reading my little blog.

2 comments:

  1. i read your blog! just haven't commented in a while. i liked your holiday guests posts about getting the bathroom ready. i keep thinking about how i really need to buy a toilet plunger for the guest bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhonda! I think you can get "pretty" plungers (or at least plungers that are somewhat concealed by prettier containers) at places like Homegoods and Ross. Mine is an ugly one, but it's on a pretty plate.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC